Tuesday, February 12, 2008

sugar addiction

I saw this post on another blog and thought I would share here, regarding sugar addiction:

Sugar is very addictive. Try adding more sweet vegetables to your meals to curb your sweet cravings. Try sweet potatoes, parsnips, onions, turnips, etc. Cook them together, add them to your meals, or have some as a snack.

I do this myself, eating "sweet vegetables" whenever I have sweet cravings. I pretty much avoid white sugar, corn syrup and any non-natural sweetener whenever I can. I have never been a fan of sodas (regular or diet) or sugar in my coffee. I drink sweet teas like licorice tea at night for sweet cravings. My favorite tea is yogi brand "egyptian licorice" or if you can afford it - the aveda licorice mint tea. I got the loose tea which has lasted me forever (more than two years now) - much better than the ripoff of $16 for the box of 22 tea bags. The loose tea just goes a lot longer and was well worth the $22 I paid for it a few years back now. I do love aveda products so I am sure I give them back their money in spades on hair and skincare products - but I've been satisfied with my ROI on their tea.

I do eat my share of dark chocolate - 85% cocoa mass which has less than 5g of sugar per serving...and I do stick to the serving size, savoring each square one at a time.

New York is enjoying its share of snow - I hope you are all beating the winter blues with your share of sweet relief. Wishing you and yours a happy and sweet valentines day and hoping that you'll stick to the dark chocolate and sweet vegetables when you find your need for your next sugar fix.

No comments: