Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Another plug for quinoa

I saw this plug for Quinoa, my favorite grain, in a newsletter from another health counselor Randi Cestaro. Randi specializes in IBS and works in the Bronx. Here are the details of her post:


Looking for a grain that's high in protein?

Did you know that Quinoa is high in both iron and protein? It has more protein and is much lighter in starch than any other grain. It also has a much lighter taste than other grains, nearly as light as couscous.

If you would like another option for a complex carb, then you must try quinoa. This is a great substitute for rice.

How do you cook quinoa? It only takes about 15 minutes. You add 2 cups of water for each cup of quinoa.

For extra taste, I add olive oil to the pot, then add the quinoa. Toast for a minute or two, and add the water. Once it's done, squirt a fresh lemon on top.


I get mixed reviews from my clients on Quinoa. It is my most favorite grain. I love the nutty taste...but then again, it has taste...unlike white pasta or white rice that tastes like starch. I think that is tasteless. Its interesting how our tastebuds get used to certain substances and dulled of more natural tastes and we find those tasteless. I urge you to try the oil, lemon method or grate an orange (navel, not juice, they are bitter!) and add cilantro into the Quinoa. Also you could add grated lemon rind or lime rind (any rind will do) and add another herb you like: thyme, tarragon or parsley. I happen to like the cilantro and orange combination the best. You could also add a teaspoon or two of real butter. Please don't be afraid of adding butter to your food. This could be the difference between feeling satisfied and being at the fridge in two hours having a should I or shouldn't I conversation with Ben and Jerry.

No comments: