Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

I wish a belated mother's day to all the mothers out there. I celebrated mother's day at the ballpark with my mom rooting for the New York Mets, who won! I gave my mom this year a recipe and the ingredients to make this health recipe. Its an invention of mine I call the Quinoa, Bean Powerbowl. Its just a bunch of veggies, grains and beans I put together one night out of creative expression. The recipe is fairly easy.

1 cup of quinoa
2 cups broth (veggie or chicken)
1 can of black beans, white beans or lentils (or all three - but use less of each)
1/2 cup of buckwheat or bulgur wheat
1 bunch of kale, collards or swiss chard

Soak quinoa in water overnight - rinse and drain. Boil up 1 cup of quinoa in veggie or chicken broth. While the quinoa is boiling about 8 minutes add greens to the pot - cover and steam the greens. When water is mostly absorbed, add the beans. Add some spices and seasoning. I like tamari, peanut butter, thai pepper, black pepper and cumin/tumeric.

This recipe can change depending on the grain, bean or green. There are endless possibilities for seasoning and spice. Coconut oil or real butter (unpasteurized, cultured if you can get it) might add some flavor too to make this most satisfying.

I am working on writing up for formal variations of this recipe. Stay tuned. Cook some for your mother or your family tonight!

No comments: