Friday, May 2, 2008

CSA - Community Supported Agriculture and the Herbivore's Dilemma

I saw this on daily candy today and I wanted to rerun it here...its great. I'm starting my CSA on June 2 with Roxbury Farm at the Church on 86th and West End. They are a biodynamic farm that follows organic farming methods. I am so excited to get my vegetables delivered fresh from the farm every other week (I am splitting the share with someone else, b/c I don't know what I would do with all those vegetables!)...Its amazing $15 for a bag full of fresh vegetables. Incredible. Look into it, I don't know if there are many shares left anywhere...but its an amazing deal.

The Herbivore’s Dilemma
Farm Share CSA Deliveries
veggies are good for you!

Alright everybody, you know how this game works. The total value of items thrown into your supermarket cart determines the winning team. Sixty seconds on the clock, please.

And they’re off. Way off.

Because the best stuff is still on the farm. Farm Share delivers CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) stakes of local produce from upstate to homes in NYC.

It’s coordinated by a book publicist who loves the farm-to-table concept and figured out how to deliver: by tag-teaming with milkmen commuting to the city, thereby eliminating the need for extra trucks.

From June through November, boxes of veggies (eggplant, lettuce, cucumbers, fingerling potatoes, etc.) and fruit (cherries, peaches, plums, etc.) will be dropped at doorman buildings (sorry tenement dwellers, early a.m. delivery means you’ve got to work it out with a security guy near you).

Sign up ASAP to secure space and help get capital to the farmers up front. Then look for the purple carrot logo — an homage to heirloom varieties lost during the uniformization of shipped produce.

Their time is up.


Available online at myfarmshare.com.

No comments: