Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Durian

I write after suffering what I call wrath of the Durian. Three days of food poisioning like symptoms. The apple martini I had last night probably didn't help things. I don't know what I was thinking. Perhaps I am allergic to this fruit...or perhaps there is a reason it is banned in several countries. Travel and food writer Richard Sterling says:
... its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. Despite its great local popularity, the raw fruit is forbidden from some establishments such as hotels, subways and airports, including public transportation in Southeast Asia.

And its taste...something like hot garbage according to Anthony Bourdain and to me it tasted like rotten eggs. I had the grand pleasure of having it in ice cream at this raw restaruant in New York City called Bonobo on east 23rd street. I have to say that I don't recommend this restaurant. I had some nut pates and salads. The food was bland and uninteresting. It was also extremely expensive for what it was. Maybe the raw food movement is not within my bio-individuality. I did the raw smoothies for a few months and I admire people who can do the raw thing, but it just isn't for me.

No comments: