Tuesday, October 7, 2008

bee pollen, honey and propolis for winter immunity

I love bee pollen. It has all the essential amino acids, its sweet but not overpowering and won't adversely affect blood sugar if you are a diabetic. Certain unprocessed/raw honeys from your local farmers markets are also great for building immunity, fighting off winter colds and allergies. Propolis is also great as an antiviral and works wonderfully for cold sores. Here is a great link to learn more about bee products:

http://www.beepollenblog.com/4/bee-pollen-has-immune-system-benefits/#comments

I usually add bee pollen to fruit smoothies in the summer and when I am feeling the need for something cold. Now that fall and winter are ensuing I tend to like warmer foods especially in the mornings. I now put bee pollen in my oatmeal or sometimes in my yogurt (I only eat 2-3 tablespoons of yogurt at a time - usually with fruit). I'd stir it into a soup as well to get some extra protein power in an otherwise protein lacking meal.

Two other favorite amino acid sources of mine are hemp seeds and spirulina. I add them both to soups, stir fries or grains. Spirulina often has a strong taste, odor and color. Its chock full of nutrients - but will turn your otherwise white food green/blue. Its sort of funky, but its worth it for the antioxidants, pure absorbable amino acids and incredible amounts of vitamins, minerals and electrolytes for all of you athletes and marathoners out there. In preparation for my fall races I am being sure to increase my amino acids, electrolytes and antioxidants to replace what I have lost exercising and to push me on to a faster mile in these increasingly cold temperatures. With the right layering however I much prefer running in the cold than in the hot and sticky and I'm getting faster every day. Hope you are too!
Enjoy the power buzz of bee pollen and other bee products!

No comments: