Saturday, October 11, 2008

cooking classes, cashew cream and urban organics

My cooking class on Friday night was fabulous. I found a wonderful new space and am looking forward to more classes. The next class is on November 11th at 7pm and will be a thanksgiving themed class. With everything going on in the economy, the price of organic vegetables has gone up, substantially. Although I hear the squash in Inwood is half the price of the squash in Union Square...not sure if its organic though - but might be worth a trip to Inwood. Not sure if I can carry the squash home on my bike. Squash is heavy...and the cab to Inwood would probably be the same price as the squash at Union Square.

I found this really interesting recipe for cashew cream. I made some authentic whipped cream from grass fed cows this is pasteurized but not homogonized. Oh my God what a difference. Fabulous. You get one teaspoon. Just to enjoy a little sweetness and a little cream. I have a tub of it in my refrigerator now, not sure what to do with it.

Here is the recipe. I don't know what the nutritional value/calorie count is on this - but I imagine its very high. Its going to be high in fat too, but not saturated or trans fats. So go ahead and indulge...a little in celebration. Remember however, celebrations are not meant for every day.

Cashew Whipped Cream
from Deanne - Alaska, USA
The American Vegetarian Cookbook
from the Fit for Life Kitchen
by Marilyn Diamond

This is VERY yummy, but best saved only for Thanksgiving because it's so rich.
I sometimes put it in the freezer for a short while before serving.
Recipe By : The American Vegetarian Cookbook
Serving Size: 2

* 1 cup raw cashew pieces
* 1 cup water
* 1 cup sunflower oil, approximately
* 4 tablespoons maple syrup
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
* pinch salt

Blend cashews and water to form a thick cream.
Slowly add the oil in a fine stream until cream thickens.
Blend in maple syrup, vanilla, and salt.
Chill and serve.
Cream will thicken substantially when chilled.

I found out about this great service called "Urban Organics" www.urbanorganics.com. I saw their truck not too far from my place the other day. They are sort of like a mix between a CSA and Fresh Direct. You need to sign on for a subscription and you commit to a weekly delivery of fruits and vegetables (different from a CSA which is usually only veggies with optional fruit) and you can also order cheese, milk and other organic groceries. There is a one person pack that starts at $24 a week which isn't too bad. I haven't tried it yet because I am doing a CSA until December - but maybe in December I will try it out. Beats dragging stuff from union square...and unlike my CSA you can request 4 items you absolutely can't stand like tomatoes or turnips or whatever it is you don't like. Give it a try and let me know how it is.

No comments: